marblealan.gif (105276 bytes)

A HISTORY OF GLASSMAKING IN LAUSCHA, GERMANY, AND VICINITY

award2.bmp (48314 bytes)

germany.JPG (84586 bytes)

Map of Germany

thurengia.jpg (83707 bytes)

Map of Thuringen Province showing the Location of Lauscha

areamap.jpg (73509 bytes)

Map of Lauscha and Vicinity

laumap.jpg (38692 bytes)

Map of Lauscha

Lauscha is located in the Thuringen province of East Germany. This small town has a history of glass making that goes back at least seven centuries.

Nuns and monks were among the earliest to operate glassworks in the region. These glassworks, Glashutten (or "glass huts"), became more numerous as secular residents of the region acquired the knowledge of glass making, which was at first exclusive to the church because of its members' ability to read Latin, the language in which the ancient glass making recipes were written.

By the early 1400s the glass industry in the region had become well-established and became a tradition passed on from father to son. One of the premier families of glass makers was the Greiner family, and it was their descendents who would produce the first glass marbles.

Lauscha itself was a large, uninhabited forest district until around 1590, when two glassmakers, Christoff Mueller and Hans Greiner, came to the region from Langenbach and erected a glass factory in Marktiegel. However, this factory lasted only a few years due to cramped space. They then settled on the banks of the Lauscha River, licensed to do so by the Duke of Sachen-Coburg, Johann Casimir. The site of the subsequent glassworks they built there, Hultenplatz ("foundry place"), is still known by the same name today. Soon thereafter these two were joined by other glass artisans, and their glassworks swiftly became a source of fine luxury vessels used by the aristocracy. Ointment flasks were among the first objects produced by the glassworks, followed by drinking glasses and small round window panes called "blisterpanes" and "bullseye panes."

The location was favorable for glassworks because timber could easily be dragged down from the nearby mountains, thus supplying the factories with much needed wood for the ovens. For instance, data from a later factory indicates the need for over 2,000 cubic meters of timber each year. Raw material was also abundant. Sand from Steinheid and burned volcanic limestone from Weissbrun were used in the glass formula. The glass had a greenish color due to the high amount of iron present in the sand. Thus, it was named Waldglas ("forest glass").

Hans Greiner and Christoph Muller were also accomplished painters and therefore painted their glass items with Christian passages and, later, humorous passages and folk poetry. These were sold almost immediately upon their completion and were distributed throughout the country by peddlers.

The demand for glass was greater than the supply. To meet some of this demand, the sons of Christoph Muller, Hans and Steffan, built their own glassworks in Schmalenbuche in 1607, obtaining 1,155 acres of forest for the needed firewood. Around 1622, another factory was founded in Piesau, by a fellowship of glassmakers including Scholt from Langenbach, Heins from Langenbach or Fehrenbach, Bock from Lauscha, and Dietz from Seiffen.  Other glassworks were built in Klein-Tettlau (1680), Gebiet Altenfeld (1648), Neustadt (1698), and Krumbach (1615) during this century.

The Krumback factory endured until 1783. It was founded when, due to an abundance of timber in Frankenwald, Hans Greiner and Christoph Muller proposed to erect a glassworks there, negotiating with the local ruler to do so. This factory produced plate glass and drinking glasses and goblets, and rapidly expanded throughout the eighteenth century. In 1783 it was sold to Johann Michel Muller.

Later, in Marktiegel on the same location as the first glassworks, two factories were constructed in 1721 and were named Henriettenthal. Here, a method by which to produce stemmed glasses was introduced to Germany, a technique earlier developed in England.

By the late 18th century glassworkers began working out of their homes to handle the overflow from the glassworks, which were operating at capacity. Around this time, the use of oil lamps and, later, gas blowtorches, allowed for increasing intricacy and creative designs. Other smaller "wandering" glassworks were also erected in areas where timber could be exploited. Once the forest in the vicinity was depleted, these itinerant factories were moved to new locations, leaving behind few traces.

A glassworks was established in Marktiegel by Elias Greiner Vetters Sohn in 1853.  Louis Robert Greiner also constructed a factory nearby in 1856. The latter was reconstructed in 1895 and supplied with gas heating, but was finally closed in 1934. Also in 1856, a glassworks was founded in Lauscha by two brothers, Peter and Christoph Kuhnert. Here they produced glass marbles, glass canes, and reflective colored glass balls and knobs. This factory endured until around 1916. In 1861 the factory of the Kuhnert and Company Firm was founded by Gunter Kuhnert and his sons. Finally, in 1920, another glassworks was established in Lauscha by Johann Georg Schneider.

Ku.jpg (111535 bytes)

The Kuhnertshutte Glassworks in Lauscha

ovgt.jpg (77146 bytes)

The Entrance to the Oven

oven.jpg (83316 bytes)

An Oven in the Cellar

kuhnertpic1.JPG (73757 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks

kuhnertpic2.JPG (90528 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks

paperweight.JPG (73347 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks Paperweight

salesbox1.JPG (93364 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks Sample Box

scissors1.JPG (20058 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks Marble Scissors

scissors2.JPG (71505 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks Marble Scissors

ad1.JPG (60449 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks Advertisement

ad2a.JPG (79001 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks Advertisement

ad2b.JPG (56068 bytes)

G. Kuhnert & Co. Glassworks Advertisement (reverse side)

eichrn.jpg (79254 bytes)

The Eichhornshutte Glassworks in Steinach

Seppen.jpg (44698 bytes)

The Farbglashutte Glassworks in Lauscha (former site of Seppenhutte Glassworks)

laugroup.jpg (71947 bytes)

A Group of Marbles from Kuhnertshutte

During the 1800s, as mentioned, Lauscha glassblowers began creating children's glass toys. Among these were the first glass marbles, made possible by the invention of marble scissors by Elias Johann Christoph Simon Carl Greiner around 1846. However, the scissors were initially used for making glass eyes for toy animals, and the first marbles were not produced until around 1850. Other items produced during this period included thermometers, barometers, artificial eyes, glass beads, and Christmas tree ornaments, among others.

elias.JPG (225607 bytes)

Elias Greiner Vetters Sohn

xmas1.jpg (23733 bytes)

Antique Christmas Tree Ornament

xmas2.jpg (38550 bytes)

Antique Christmas Tree Ornament

xmas3.jpg (45865 bytes)

Antique Christmas Tree Ornament

xmas4.jpg (30987 bytes)

Antique Christmas Tree Ornament

eyes.jpg (69308 bytes)

"Puppenaugen" (doll eyes)

Marble scissors allowed the marble maker to cut portions of a multicolored, threaded glass rod which was heated then twisted as the glass became molten. Shearing the glass rod left telltale cut-off marks, or "pontils," on either pole of the marble. Depending on the amount of time and effort invested in the production of the marble, as well as the skill and dedication of the artist, these pontils were often melted, ground, or even left as is. There is research to suggest that the earlier marbles have more polished and ground pontils, and that less care was given to this as time passed due to increased production and a concomitant decrease in the amount of time that could be given to the creation of an individual marble.

canes.jpg.jpg (42716 bytes)

Some Glass Cane Fragments and Left Over End of Cane Pieces

canes1.jpg (85240 bytes)

More Glass Cane Fragments and Left Over End of Cane Pieces

canes2.jpg (40222 bytes)

A Closeup Shot

mushroom.jpg.jpg (31194 bytes)

This End of Cane Piece Formed a Nice Mushroom!

A HISTORY OF HANDMADE GLASS MARBLES

glasshut.jpg (77897 bytes)

Hans W. Schmidt engraving of the original glass house at Lauscha, Germany (1597-1905). Note workmen drawing out glass cane.

post.jpg (44736 bytes)

Drawing of the Dorfglashutte Glassworks in Lauscha

Apparently, Elias Greiner Vetters Sohn, step-brother of the inventor of the marble scissors Johann Christoph Simon Carl Greiner, and son of master glass worker Johann Georg Wilhelm Greiner, was the first to make glass toy marbles in 1849. Along with his son, Septimus, or Seppen, Elias was granted a six year patent from the county government of Meiningen in September of 1848 to manufacture marbles. In May of the following year the father and son team received a similar patent from the Bavarian Ducal Ministry; one year later it was confirmed that the two were indeed manufacturing the marbles, a requirement in order to maintain the patent.

Elias and Seppen began by producing their marbles in a small portion of the family glassworks. The marbles were polished elsewhere. In September of 1853, however, the two succeeded in opening up the first glassworks devoted to the manufacture of glass marbles. Elias ran this glassworks until his death in 1864 and was succeeded by his son, who died in 1877. Control of the glassworks then passed to Seppen's son Hermann. A gas explosion in early 1894 unfortunately burned the factory to the ground, but it was replaced with an even larger glassworks the following year. After Hermann's death in 1914, his son Otto became the last of the Greiner family to run the glassworks. At some point the factory was producing not only the traditional handmade marbles, but also machine made marbles. Both types of marbles may have been produced at this glassworks ("Seppenhutte") until World War II. Both handmade marbles and "German Striped Transparent" machine made marbles have been dug from this site.

striped.jpg (25689 bytes)

A German Striped Transparent Marble from Seppenhutte

strtrans2.jpg (21765 bytes)

A German Striped Transparent Marble from Seppenhutte

strtrans3.jpg (25703 bytes)

A German Striped Transparent Marble from Seppenhutte

strtrans4.jpg (23357 bytes)

A German Striped Transparent Marble from Seppenhutte

strtrans5.jpg (22254 bytes)

A German Striped Transparent Marble from Seppenhutte

strtrans1.jpg (22996 bytes)

German Striped Opaque

uidswirl.jpg (20151 bytes)

Unidentified German Machine Made Marble

catseye1.jpg (33183 bytes)

"Catseye" from the Sofienhutte Glassworks (ca. 1980)

catseye2.jpg (31625 bytes)

"Catseye" from the Sofienhutte Glassworks (ca. 1980)

Soon after the Greiners opened their factory, numerous other glass toy makers in Germany began specializing in marble making. The first recorded instance of an exhibition of these marbles was in 1854 at the Universal German Industry Exhibit in Munich.

At least five glassworks were operating in Lauscha: Kuhnertshutte (begun in 1856 by Peter and Christoph Kuhnert); Schlotfegerhutte (begun by Luis Robert Greiner in 1853); Seppenhutte; Schneidershutte; and Dorfglashutte. The latter can trace its history of glass making to the year 1597. Other glassworks producing marbles were in Steinach (Eichhornshutte) and Haselbach (Marienhutte).

sep1.JPG (584392 bytes)

Seppenhutte (1820-1979)

sep2.JPG (211708 bytes)

Inside Seppenhutte

dorf.JPG (409645 bytes)

Dorfglashutte

At first, German glass marbles were too expensive for most American children to enjoy, and archaeological excavations of working class residential sites dating to the latter half of the nineteenth century demonstrate that less than 5% of the marbles recovered were made from glass, with the balance comprised of the more common, and far less expensive, ceramic and stone marbles.

The following few decades witnessed the emergence of glass marble manufacture in other countries, including England (Bristol Glass Works) and America (Iowa City Flint Glass Manufacturing Company). However, most glass marbles were still imported from Germany, though this importation was virtually halted in the early 1900s when M.F. Christensen of Akron, Ohio, patented the first marble making machine. However, it was the advent of World War I and the Fordney-McCumber Act tariffs to follow that proved the death knell of German handmade marble importation to the United States.

There is evidence to suggest, however, that some German glass marbles were still making their way to the United States after the first world war. For instance, the Butler Brothers 1927 and the Sears Roebuck and Company 1921-1923 catalogs illustrated imported glass marbles, though it could be argued that they were selling old stock or simply picturing marbles that were different than what were actually being offered. More conclusive proof of the continued importation of German glass marbles derives from the German toy catalog, der Universal Spielwaren Katalog, of 1924-1926, which shows that latticinio swirls cut from a cane were still being offered for export.

In fact, there is good evidence to support the fact that, at least in Lauscha, glass marbles were being made by hand in quantity until 1933. The onset of World War II slowed this production considerably, but glass artisans may have continued cutting marbles from glass canes until 1950, allowing this particular craft to flourish a full 100 years.

It should be noted that while the production of handmade glass marbles as toys ended by the end of the first half of the twentieth century, a renewed interest in them by collectors in the succeeding decades brought about a rebirth of sorts. In the past decade or so, more and more modern glass artists have begun to produce handmade marbles as art glass pieces. This trend is growing, and shows no sign of declining. While some of these artists are producing new styles completely different than traditional cane-cut marbles, others are orienting their craft toward reverent reproductions of the old styles.

norb.jpg (48644 bytes)

A Contemporary Marble made by a Glassblower in Germany

GALLERY OF HANDMADE GLASS MARBLES FROM LAUSCHA AND VICINITY

batch5.jpg (99859 bytes)

A Group of Marbles sent to me from Lauscha

batch4.jpg (80522 bytes)

And Another Group...

manyhand.jpg (79514 bytes)

And Yet Another Group....

indians.jpg (79684 bytes)

Some Indians

onions.jpg (79934 bytes)

A Group of Onionskins

oddswirl.jpg (51478 bytes)

An Odd Solid Core Swirl

avenlatt.jpg (39500 bytes)

Alternating Yellow/Aventurine Green Latticinio

indiclam.jpg (52859 bytes)

A Black Based Clambroth

handslag.jpg (61442 bytes)

Single Pontil Four Color Slag

lutzclam.jpg (87007 bytes)

Lutzes and Clambroths

stegroup.jpg (62873 bytes)

A Group from the Eichhornshutte Glassworks in Steinach

oxhand.jpg (24194 bytes)

Two Pontil Oxblood

avenonion.jpg (24482 bytes)

Onionskin with Aventurine

laugroup2.jpg (66518 bytes)

Another Group from the Kuhnertshutte Glassworks in Lauscha

stegroup2.jpg (63388 bytes)

Another Group from the Eichhornshutte Glassworks in Steinach

hasel.jpg (28148 bytes)

An Odd Early Slag-Type Banded Transparent from the Marienhutte Glassworks in Haselbach

sttrans.jpg (33308 bytes)

Machine Made Striped Transparent Marbles from the Seppenhutte Glassworks in Lauscha

group8.jpg.jpg (73960 bytes)

Another Large Group of Handmade Marbles

3clam.jpg.jpg (42805 bytes)

Black Based Clambroth with Three Colors

lowcloud.jpg.jpg (44307 bytes)

An Out-of-Round Single Pontil Cloud

onionpa.jpg.jpg (48372 bytes)

Another Crop of Onions!

eichhan.jpg (78825 bytes)

Another Group from the Eichhornshutte Glassworks in Steinach

kuhnert.jpg (77397 bytes)

Another Group from the Kuhnertshutte Glassworks in Lauscha

Schlott.jpg (61945 bytes)

A Group from the Schlotfegerhutte Glassworks

360Indians.jpg (51016 bytes)

Two 360 Degree Indians (Same Cane?)

cobalt.jpg (23611 bytes)

A Divided Core Swirl in Cobalt Glass

Endof.jpg (36595 bytes)

An End of Cane Marble

whatsit.jpg (26170 bytes)

A Type of Mist?

group11.jpg (68734 bytes)

My 11th Package from Germany

magclam.jpg (45391 bytes)

A Maglite Clambroth

oxswirl.jpg (31404 bytes)

An Oxblood Swirl with Ghost Core

surfcloud.jpg (38887 bytes)

An Indian Cloud?

group12.jpg (69768 bytes)

My 12th Package from Germany!

onionette.JPG (35242 bytes)

Now this is a Peewee!

protoslag.jpg (26935 bytes)

Single Pontil Slag (yellow on transparent green)

eocsc.jpg (46518 bytes)

End of Cane Triple Layer Solid Core Swirl

oxtornado.jpg (45067 bytes)

Single Pontil "Tornado" Core with Oxblood

eocindian.jpg (27433 bytes)

Single Pontil End of Cane Indian

bigindian.jpg (59261 bytes)

Indian Cane Segment

leighton.JPG (38856 bytes)

"Leighton"-Style Transitional (Single Pontil Oxblood)

Back to Main Page

Email: craig@buymarbles.com